Cocaine to Italy: Veteran Ex-Guitarist for King Sunny Ade, Fatoke Abiodun arrested for Drug Trafficking

Story by Babajide Ogunbumi/Nigeriafilms.com
Last Updated:Monday, January 7, 2013

Fatoke Abiodun With Wraps

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) Saturday declared that it has apprehended a veteran guitarist who played for one of the most popular afro juju musicians, King Sunny Ade, in the country with cocaine.

The agency said that the suspect who played guitar for music star, King Sunny Ade, for three decades was caught on January 1 at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport (MMIA) Lagos while attempting to board an Air France flight to Italy.

False Bottom of the Suitcase where the Cocaine was Hidden

Operatives of NDLEA detected two parcels of cocaine industrially hidden in the false bottom of the suspect’s luggage. While confirming the arrest, NDLEA Commander the Lagos Airport, Mr. Hamza Umar, gave the name of the suspect as Fatoke Abiodun.

“We have made the first arrest in the new year. The suspect, a guitarist by name Fatoke Abiodun was found with 1.575kg of cocaine. The drug was discovered in the false bottom of his luggage during the outward screening of passengers to Italy,” Hamza said.

Fatoke Abiodun with his Suitcase

He is quoted to have said “I played for King Sunny Ade for 30 years before I was unceremoniously retired in 2007. I was unprepared and without severance money I saw the bitter side of life…Because at my age I could not provide for my family. I am ashamed of myself.”

© 2013 Nigeriafilms.com

Open Letter: Igbo Man Responds to Tonto Dike Insult to Igbo Men

Video – Exclusive Interview With Chief Pete Edochie On His Death Rumor (4th Jan 2013)

POPULAR ACTOR, IBRAHIM CHATTA WEDS SENATOR'S DAUGHTER

TOP GOSPEL SINGER LANRE TERIBA ATORISE FATHERS 5 KIDS BY DIFFERENT WOMEN

Yoruba actors not under any spell — Saheed Balogun

There are so many unnecessary competitions in Nollywood- Actor Kelechi Akara

My Source of wealth: Me & sugar daddies -Laide Bakare

Ahaahah!!
Lalaland
1/6/2013 5:59:45 AM
What can i say but laff! Original sufferhead!
Fhucking yorubas all da tyme
1/6/2013 6:25:04 AM
Iz it diz old man in da pix iz fatoka ?if he iz d one let him be killed mediately witout no wasting of tyme. Coz as old as he iz ad he iz still doing diz kind of business. So wat foundation iz him laying 2 hiz children. Yorubas ad their wahala all da tyme. If it iz nt abt yoruba artise it must be abt yoruba actor or actress or politician or their footballers being posted on dix site everyday 4 stealing,raping or doing one thing or d odas. Infact yorubas need 2 be delected 4rm being part of a 9ja. Who dnt lyke diz ma humble ad sensible comment should go ad lick hiz or her mothers smelling ad rotten pussie 4 all i care mtcheez.
Lana, Jerry
Me
1/6/2013 7:10:01 AM
Please stop the hatred to the Yorubas.Our people do traffic in drugs too.
Me
1/6/2013 10:25:45 AM
are u 4rm ghana or wat?
Lana Jerry
Me
1/6/2013 1:53:34 PM
I'm an Igbo man. Even my Sister-In Law's husband is being held in Italy since the past 3years.
Me
1/6/2013 3:23:54 PM
Den y saying our people?. Iam nt an igbo,hausa or yoruba o.
f*****h man lana jerry
Nonye
1/6/2013 9:16:53 PM
Go and kill urself jerry why are u on dis site
Nonye
1/7/2013 3:32:50 AM
2 say d truth.
Lana Jerrican
Christy
1/6/2013 8:49:03 AM
Lana Jerrican, u must be daft for dis ur comment. Is it only yorubas dat does dat? What about all dis hausas nd igbos dat do carry cocain too even ur useless country people does dat too.U are s****d once again for saying dat to yorubas

B4 I forget, if U don't know what to comment go and lick up swimming pool abeg instead of typing rubb!sh here. Omo ghana jatijati
Christy
1/6/2013 10:55:29 AM
U did nt make sense 2 me at all so repeat again
lana jerry
lolo
1/6/2013 11:12:36 PM
thank u for this ur humble comment..u are a man with few words
Lolo dear
1/7/2013 3:30:47 AM
We are here 2 say d true ad nothing else. As 4 christy ad co let them go 2 hell 4 all i care.
Lana Jerry.
Taiwo Idowu.NY.
1/7/2013 6:01:46 AM
You might be right in a way,because the yorubas have been making headlines lately about smuggling drugs all over the world.I understand your frustration and truth be told and lots of people cannot handle the truth.All tribes and nationalty smuggle drugs all over the world not only yorubas.I am a yoruba man but i don't deal or use any kinds of drugs.You could have said some yoruba people.Don't get me wrong,you are only pissed off for seeing too many yorubas being arrested for drugs lately.You might not or be a yoruba man,but have yoruba friends.I hope you are not suspecting all yorubas are drug smugglers.Try to seperate the good Yorubas and the bad ones.Take care.I hope this old geezer get what is coming to him.A long prison sentence.
Wata sin ting
Mystic
1/6/2013 6:20:33 AM
Man suppose fi be......... Elder state man...........smuggle stimulant away fi odda fi smash I & I youth brain wit chemical............poverty inna di highest odda kan natty make I & I righteous man pon earth fi sell outta ya displine & intergrity.................a bloody clot man dat suppose fi guide & mentor likull children & youth inna di area gwan rude & ratty bwoy..............tell I mystic who........... I & I dem youth look up fi
Mystic
1/6/2013 6:30:21 AM
Mystic o, infact me lana jerry personally lyke ur swaggar inna all d tyme. Bumbum klaat no be small o kai hahahahahaha.
Ediot
Sly
1/6/2013 8:14:05 AM
EdiotX10
Oga na u knw
Chi baby
1/6/2013 7:47:19 AM
Oga hunger is not enough reason for u do this kind of business if every hungry Nigerian resort to drugs trafficking d whole country will b full of drugs i tell there are many hungry people like u that find it difficult to feed there family. What are going to teach ur children.
Lana Jerry the b*****d
Abbey
1/6/2013 8:26:49 AM
Yorubas are better than you that doesnt know where you came from,today you are a Nigerian,tomorrow you are Ghanaian which is a big lie,am sure you will soon claim to be from the gorilla kingdom.
Abbey sluut
1/6/2013 10:52:43 AM
Ha so u have nt get tired of crackling ur brain whether am 4rm ghana or 9ja anyways keep on killing urself o. 4 ur info am a kumasi boy
Senseless....
FR
1/6/2013 10:49:00 AM
Abeg, make una free the man joooor !!!! NDLEA officials, na cos him no settle niiii???? make una go after the politicians and leave these hustlers alone.....wetin una want make the people do ?
lana jerry
Genny
1/6/2013 11:02:29 AM
Lana jerry, u can ever and will never be a Ghanaian, ur vocabulary and style of writing says it all.
Genny
1/6/2013 3:30:54 PM
Me jerry a 9ja anyways 9ja iz gud 2, so calling me a 9ja doesnt vex me at all.so chill out.
christy
KC
1/6/2013 11:10:10 AM
Has he ever make sense in any of his comments? hell no, he is a big disgra on dis site, am surprised NFC doesn't censor such porous language.
Kc
1/6/2013 3:39:02 PM
Ha c yoruba pathetic loser kc eating ma sheit.keep on killing ur self o. U c Diz nfc if u take everything serious u will just get heart attack ad died. So relax or u fhuck off ediot.
Kenke Boi
FR
1/6/2013 11:11:04 AM
Mr man, 9ja better pass that ur ghana 100% ...... so stop making noise and do something with ur life......what are u evening doing on this site in the 1st place ? abi work don finish for gh ?
Liar
Fumi
1/6/2013 11:29:59 AM
I can say with all certainty dat that lana jerry is NOT a Ghanaian, a Ghanaian who knows Nigeria inside out like that? a liar. I wonder if he has even travel out of his local govt area to another sef in Nigeria.
Liar
Fumi
1/6/2013 11:42:30 AM
igbos do drugs
enitan
1/6/2013 2:43:04 PM
Why do y all like been tribalistic I notice this in this forum at some point igbos insult yoruba and yoruba insult igbos d point is nigeria as a whole. Regardless of our tribe we all have our bad habits igbo guys lots of them in holland,johannesburg southafrica,peru and belgium even in asia are know for their drug bizness and car theft they are king in the bizness so why say yoruba this or that it has notin to do with tribe but nigeria as a whole besides igbos are really the ones with wide tentacles and pitching of tent everywhere in drug bizness and car tefth so pls stop this yoruba this or that
i***t
Ken
1/8/2013 2:16:18 AM
Thunder scatter ur mouth der.i think say na only igbos de carry drug.kill.go to linda blog u go see papa weh kil him 4mths child 4 ritual,evn d one we keep im daughter de rape am do abortion.useles yoruba
cracy lana jerry
habba
1/6/2013 3:06:52 PM
Mr lana jerry my best advise 4 you is too look 4 any transformer around you so dat u can rest in peace, all ashewo wey dey italy nah yoruba ur broda jonathan wey no get sence to rule nah yoruba i beg go nd sit down
Ediot yorubas listen o
1/6/2013 4:00:40 PM
I know dat all of u commenting here are bunch of yoruba actress,actors ad f00lishballers. 4 ur all info ma family lived in 9ja 4 so many years. i was born ad brought up in lagos.so i kw 9ja in ad out more dan any 9ja sef.ha i cn speak 5 9ja languages expect igbo.anyways calling me a 9ja makes me happy coz i luv dem expect yorubas.ad dat iz y i lyke 2 associate wit wat dey do.so all these fake yoruba actress ad actors killing themselves abt whether am 4rm ghana or 9ja u all, are all rite coz i was born dare. So u all should go ad died coz jerry iz here 2 stay on nfc 4ever ad ever amen.
KENKEN EATER jerry
.........
1/8/2013 5:40:59 AM
i knew from d start,that jerry and chizobu were gh but born and brought up in 9ja,but dnt come and put confusion on my pple here ooo,that ur smelling country,go and preach and tell them d truth,with little or more we done teach u in 9ja big mumu.
wahula dey lagos oo
Serena
1/6/2013 6:11:09 PM
gra pa like you still never get sense? see eh fufu face.
wahula dey lagos oo
Serena
1/6/2013 6:13:28 PM
gra pa like you still never get sense? see eh fufu face.
If you want to kill yourselves
Leave Ghana alone
1/6/2013 11:06:34 PM
I don't know why niggas and w***es can not leave without pointing Ghana.
Mr impostor
1/7/2013 3:38:54 AM
Mention name nah. Who are u talking 2, me jerry or those ediotic yorubas sheiting on dix site.
I wonder
Fredrick
1/7/2013 1:48:00 AM
I think say no only Ibo`s dey sale Drugs now YORUBA`S don over take sha.
Baba suwe
Loyal
1/8/2013 6:36:49 AM
U for ask baba suwe hw to do the bussiness. He knows the magic
Stop sounding Tribalislic in ur comments
Adecrown.
1/11/2013 12:18:43 AM
Lana Jerrican or watever s****d name u kol ursef, ur comment up dia shows aw naive & aw high ur level of ignorance is. U jux sounded lyk a twat.
Seems u av issuez w d Yorubas & u don't av meanz f voicin out aw frustrated u are xcept hia on NFC. Wu cares wia d f**kin hell u came 4rm & aw many Langueges u culd speak nor undastand -- U 4uckin son of a b***h.
If betta go learn aw 2 tok publicly b4 ur creepy hussy mouth gets corrected & adjusted w som big slaps on ur face.
Keeping tribalism aside, any tribe in Nigeria culd do drugs & be caught jux bcoz recent seriez f arrest in d illegal biz wia Yorubas by tribe doesn't mean dia z a gr8 influx f Yoruba in2 d biz.
I don't want 2sound judgemental nor sound tribalistic hia but we ol knw sincerely doz wu ar d real drug dealears. Dey'v got no any meanz of livelyhood but live on d mony dey get 4rm drugtraffikin. Hmmm! Du I av 2 specify but I guez u olredy knw doz who am tokin abt.
Kidnappin, Arm Robbery, pipeline Vandalization, fake& counterfeit drugs, piracy, plagiarism, humantraffickin, prostitution {dia femalez}, pickpockets & lootherz {doz in pawa} & d list is endless u find dem dia w/o any shadow f doubt. So guyz wat r we really tokin abt?
Am nt tryin 2 dfend d Yorubas hia bt d truth of d matter z d Yorubas r way far betta.
If a Yoruba man z caugh in drug related issues, dat culd be traced down 2 Economic hardship oldou som riches among dem wu neva get satisfied w d mony dey av stil do drugs.
I think Dat old man caught wasn't jux smart enough or may av failed 2 bribe som NDLEA officialz.....aaaah! diz grandpa z stil a learna oo! Make him go ask Baba Suwe aw dem du ham na. He got d tricks & Magic...lol
Plz folkz let's stop been sentimental & tribalistic in our comments....stay kuuuuuuL.
tAEDSuURjNAConZnxR
Rickelmy
3/3/2013 12:34:05 PM
1) Anengiyefa these are your words ..." I would agree though that we have pacapriitted in the almost total annihilation of the country's natural fauna."...Yet with the following statement, "Ha ha, Anonymaus, unfortunately for the animals in Nigeria, the answer to your question is YES!"I'm now puzzled as to your stand on the issue. Do you believe in the anhilation of everything living thing that falls into the boundaries of Nigeria. Then you complain that tourists stay away! The environment is a key draw card for Africa, and if that is turned into one big r*****h tip, then the people only have themselves to blame. Do you not believe in the preservation of natural flora and fauna in a planned and organised way for future generations?2) Anonymous, what has souding superior got to do with anything? The point I'm making is that there is no need to instantly destroy a creature , because you have a knee-jerk reaction to its existence. If the animal posed no immediate danger, why the over-reaction? If it is endangering you, by all means remove the threat. 3) Babatunde - Because some people have devoured all their natural species, does that make it right? In parts of Europe they are even lamenting the disappearance of some species and are trying (where possible) to reintroduce them or preserve the few that remain. Is one not allowed to look, discern and ultimately decide if it's right for you before going down the same path?
Self Inflicted Deep Wound.
Dr Pat Kolawole Awosan
3/3/2013 3:29:21 PM
Mr Fatoke, a retired guiter player with King Sunny Ade and His African Beat should blame himself for not living above his means.
For thirty years he was making money but did not plan well for his retirement toward old age.Mr Fatoke is married to four wives?
Mr Fatoke has himself to blame and will spend his sunlight time of life
in prison.Shame!!!