OPINION: Enebeli's Burial; Nollywood, An Industry Full Of Hypocrites

Story by Osaremen Ehi James/Nigeriafilms.com
Last Updated:Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The burial of Nollywood legend, Enebeli Elebuwa, may have come and gone, but my heart still bleeds, not for his loss, but for the level of hypocrisy displayed by some Nollywood big-wigs that attended the burial and gave 'fake' speeches and eulogies to the late actor.

Though I didn't attend any of the burial event held in Lagos, but when I watched on TV, highlights of the tribute night, which was held at O'Jez located inside the National Stadium in Surulere, I was fumed with anger at the way those who spoke about Enebeli described him as a 'colossal' loss to Nigeria. I then wondered why do some folks don't fear God. No wonder the bible says 'the heart of a man is full of wickedness'.

My particular anger fumed at one actress, I wish to mention her name but I will refrain from doing that, but she is tall and recently married to a man from my state. She was almost crying and went as far as kneeling like she was leading a worship service at a church, praying that Enebeli's burial should be the last in Nollywood.

At that point, I felt like punching my TV in anger, if only the punch would get to her from the TV. I asked myself this question, 'where were all these people when Pa Enebeli was bedridden at the hospitals he was admitted at for close to a year'? At a point, they turned the veteran actor's plight at St Nicholas Hospital, Yaba, and St Tropaz Hospital, Surulere, both in Lagos, into a cheap publicity stunt for themselves.

Some who went to visit him at his then Lagos hospitals would take pictures of themselves with the ailing actor and send to the media to make news out of it.

As I watched the tribute nite in anger, I told myself that only Stella Damasus, Segun Arinze and RMD and possibly Ibinabo were the worthy people to give speeches at the tribute nite because they truly stood by Enebeli.

I must personally commend Stella for her effort in helping to save Enebeli's life. Even though she never liked the press to talk about it, but she was really there for the actor. She was responsible for Enebeli's hospital bills while in Abuja before the Delta State government, through RMD, transferred the late actor to India, where he eventually died.

I begin to wonder, why is there no love in Nollywood? The actresses are busy premiering multi-million naira movies, buying expensive cars that runs into millions of naira, yet, one or two of their veterans are dying because they can't afford a hospital bill of just N300,000. What a 'fake' life!

It took Lagos State, Seun Oloketuyi, and other spirited Nigerians to raise some money for Ngozi Nwosu. If not, maybe her 'fake' colleagues would have searched for the best adjectives to qualify at her 'burial', God forbid.

I weep for Nollywood. I wish to vent my anger further, but I just want to comport myself because I may go beyond bounds.

But one thing I am sure of, nothing lasts forever. I wish those in Nollywood can have a good change of mind and always help each other and not wait to give 'fake' speeches at burials.

Like the popular Yoruba saying 'aabo oro la nso fun omoluabi, t'oba de'nu e, a d'odindin' meaning 'a word is enough for the wise.' Chikena.

© 2013 Nigeriafilms.com

Video – Exclusive Interview With Chief Pete Edochie On His Death Rumor (4th Jan 2013)

Open Letter: Igbo Man Responds to Tonto Dike Insult to Igbo Men

POPULAR ACTOR, IBRAHIM CHATTA WEDS SENATOR'S DAUGHTER

TOP GOSPEL SINGER LANRE TERIBA ATORISE FATHERS 5 KIDS BY DIFFERENT WOMEN

Yoruba actors not under any spell — Saheed Balogun

There are so many unnecessary competitions in Nollywood- Actor Kelechi Akara

My Source of wealth: Me & sugar daddies -Laide Bakare

Osaremen Ehi James
Anakumbe
1/15/2013 7:07:53 AM
When a Lawyer dies, I don't hear you call NBA members names. When a doctor dies, I don't hear you call NMA members names. When an engineer dies, I don't hear you call NSE members names. Yourself is an entertaiment journalist and a human being, and you were obviously aware of Enebeli's ill-health. What did you do to help save his life?
lolo
1/15/2013 10:01:06 AM
James weldone for this analysis but we una loyal nfc workers hav treated their fcuk up and will always do..especially that fake tears that that fake stephney sheds whenever an artist dies..
Anakumbe
lolo
1/15/2013 10:04:17 AM
all those industries u hav mensioned are not in d public eyes moreso none of their members has cried out for help publicly when they are sick and dying just lik d ones happening in nollywood in recent years ok
Exactly!!
Lalaland
1/15/2013 11:20:43 AM
That is what we are all saying!! Fhucking bloody selfish backstabbing hypocrites!!
STEPHANIE OKEREKE
Lalaland
1/15/2013 11:25:04 AM
UGLY HORSE FACE STEPHANIE OKEREKE the FAKE beitch is the one that kneeled down with crocodile tears running down her map of the world big face! Stephanie is a fhucking cow and will be punished! Nfc publish my report on that beitch!!
lolo
Anakumbe
1/15/2013 12:43:37 PM
If you say that members of other proffesional bodies are not as much in the public eye, I agree, but does that make their lives matter less. They also have unions, and anual union dues paid. I disagree when you say that other proffesionals have not cried out for help, I disagree with you there, because they have and still do.
Anakumbe
lolo
1/15/2013 4:18:27 PM
as they are not in d public eyes...reason why James or we nfc members do not talk about them bcos we don't know or get to hear about them
lolo
Anakumbe
1/15/2013 4:52:16 PM
Ehi James is a professional journalist, and is expected to do an objective and balanced reporting.
ON STEPHANIE
THE WRITER IS A HYPOCRITE
1/16/2013 7:31:12 AM
HOW DO YOU ALL KNOW THAT STEPHANIE DID NOT DO ANYTHING? SOME PEOPLE MAY NOT WANT THEIR EFFEORS TO BE BROADCAST!

ALSO MR WRITER, WHAT DID YOU DO TO HELP? ARE YOU NOT A NIFERIAN...DID YOU NOT WATCH ANY OF HIS MOVIES?

IT IS ONLY AN UNINTELLIGENT f**l WHO CRITICIZES ANOTHER FOR SOMETHING HE HIMSELF COULD HAVE, BUT DID NOT DO!
good question
nbrenda
1/16/2013 3:59:13 AM
Mr. Writer where where you too? My opinion is, it is good to help if you can but he is/was not the responsibility of Nollywood actors like you put it. So stop pointing figures here and there. he is gone gone u here?
ANAKUMBE REPLY
OBI
1/16/2013 7:05:28 PM
YOU ARE RIGHT."JUSTWRIGHT". FAKENESS IN THE WORD.CROCODILE TEARS
Hmmmmmm
Sly
1/15/2013 7:10:29 AM
None could have written it better.Kudos dude.
Well said, Ehi.
Ugo
1/15/2013 12:04:53 PM
Lawyers and other professionals are not public eyes.So we donot know the level of co-operation among them.
When I used to teach, when one teacher is sick, other teachers contribute money to help. Sometimes we levy ourselves to help.
Actors and actresses work together and
in public eye. They are supposed to help one another.
Pa Enebeli has worked wt almost all of them in one movie or another.

If all of them had contributed 5,000naira each, he would hv been alive now.

Why is nollywood showing solidarity now that Pa Enebeli will go six feet deep?

Why didnt they show this solidarity when he was sick?
also
lolo
1/15/2013 4:20:18 PM
Also none of them showed face when his corpse arrived airport from india
Enebeli
omoye
1/15/2013 7:18:01 AM
James, i hate you with a passion but this is the only write up of yours i agree with. Kudos to you for this great opinion but my advise to you is to stop causing problems in marriages because you write negative stuff that are not true. Please take my advise before u get hurt. I don dey where people dey discuss your matter. Be warned and watch ya back.
Peace!!!
NFC
The Enforcer
1/15/2013 8:16:13 AM
Have you guys got no better news for we? dis journa man Osaremen Ehi James is just repeating what we have already disected here tey tey nah. Ha if una no find better news soon I will begin charge NFC each time I log on to the site for waste of time.
the enforcer
lolo
1/15/2013 10:06:06 AM
hahahahaha enforcer nwanne u funny die
mr journalist
chibuzo
1/15/2013 8:40:54 AM
Mr Journalist, you are right but this is how it is in every works of life in nigeria, not just nollywood. Tomorrow, you will be the one telling us about Genevieve and Omotola in flashy cars and others. It is just that bad.
chibuzo
Lalaland
1/15/2013 11:28:35 AM
True talk! Nfc stop promoting flashy cars and houses! Una sef dey as bad as the rest!
pat
1/15/2013 9:08:30 AM
Hmmm!
Prayer
Ikena
1/15/2013 11:56:51 AM
Prayer is the way,pls. U people should alow my stefni okereke 4 me-o! After-al, somthing must kil a man.
yeye
eye
1/15/2013 1:22:17 PM
that man is in bed wen horse face had her big time wedding
GOD no best
joy
1/15/2013 10:41:11 PM
spot condemn them that is why they need prayers we are not perfect too so all day need is our prayer not our condemn okey
Nice speech
Josy
1/15/2013 11:34:13 PM
I think the writer has spoken well. No love in nollywood, they prefer to spend money 2 attend burial they 2 give one live. May God touch their heart 2 change 2 good
PA ENEBELI
CASHMAN101
1/16/2013 12:24:59 AM
I AM DISAPPOINTED AT ALL U GUYS FOR EXPECTING SO MUCH FROM HOLLYWOOD.THE ACTORS AND ACTRESSES ARE A BUNCH OF SELFISH AND MATERIALISTIC PEOPLE.ITS EVERYMAN OR WOMAN ON HIS OR HER WON.IMAGINE THE WAY THEY PATRONIZE CORRUPT POLITICIANS(REMEMBER JONATHAN GAVE THEM MONEY TO SUPPORT FUEL HIKE?),CURRY FAVOURS AND SELL THEIR CONSCIENCE.NONE OF THEM USE HIS OR HER FAME TO FIGHT FOR A BETTER NIGERIA.PA ENEBILI CASE WAS NEVER ON THE AGENDA OF MOST OF THEM.
Is true,but in everytin god knows why it happens like this
K,c boy
1/16/2013 1:17:49 AM
I don't have much thing to say about this.god knows why it happens like this.but let me remind you sometin we re in the world so if u re in a gud possition to help someone u better do so no luke anybodies face
enebeli
destiny gabari
7/8/2013 12:02:03 AM
we have 2 let bygone be bygone cos enebeli is gone but, all i knw is dat God wil reward everybody accordin 2 their works
I rep. nollywood
Amaka morris
1/16/2013 9:46:29 AM
Wel i tink it shld b a collective effort2 show love n kindness 2 ppl around us,actress ,actor or individual.
RIP Pa Enebeli
coocoo
1/20/2013 1:08:37 PM
May God receive your soul till we meet to part no more.Adieu
Delicate..
Sandra
1/23/2013 4:18:21 AM
what more can I say RIP Pa Enebeli God is watching from a distance at the right time He will give answers to those who deserve it.
Papa journey mercy;
Justine omo.
1/26/2013 8:43:29 AM
Nollywood actors n actresses should be their brother's keeper to some extent most especially in critical times lik illness. By the way paparasy slep well, your fans will surely missed u. Bye.
the man don go e don go ok
great
2/14/2013 5:30:37 PM
no fight ok the don go that's all
What is 'Nollywood'?
jeffery
2/23/2013 1:10:23 PM
What is 'Nollywood'?
kOPDkJFvCqUxFw
Chacidy
3/3/2013 7:40:41 AM
That kind of thinking shows you're an eexrpt
bngVuALMXwxAF
Chiana
3/3/2013 7:40:41 AM
It's posts like this that make surfing so much pelaurse