Ghanaian Movie Writers Are ‘Holy Thieves’
Story by News one
Click for Full Image Size

V.V Ghollywood star

For a very long time, I have tried to understand why our Ghanaian movie directors and producers did not pick books by renowned writers like John Grisham, Jeffery Archer, Sidney Sheldon and make movies out of them.

Well, apparently, I have been wrong all this while, as they seem to be ‘stealing’ stories of these accomplished writers without giving them any credit.

Their excuse that they want to direct and produce movies with an African story does not hold because they do not even pick the works of African writers like Ngugu Wa Thiong’o, Chinua Achebe, Atukwei Okai and several other big names in Africa literature. I am not a big fan of movies made in Ghana or Nigeria at large, having been disappointed on several occasion by some of these local movies. I cursed my stars for wasting my precious time to watch a movie like ‘Sexy Angel’, Hot Fork’ etc and since then, I vowed never to watch any local movie.

But I hear about a new movie, ‘Turn Me On’ which I thought would be interesting. And after watching it, I doffed my hat for Priscilla Agyeman ‘writer’ Of the Movie ‘turn Me On (for God’s sake, where from this title, who is turning who on who?) I told a colleague about the movie, feeling excited that at least, for the first time, a Ghanaian scriptwriter had done a marvelous job. The movie is about a successful man who was murdered, leaving behind three legitimate daughters and property worth about four million Ghana cedis. In fact, I was going on and on until my friend started telling me the storyline. I paused a little, wondering how he knows the plot well since he has never watched local movies. My friend then told me the movie’s plot was ‘stolen’ from a novel originally written by Sidney Sheldon called ‘Morning, Noon and Night in 1995. The supposed scriptwriter of ‘Turn Me On’ dubbed the entire plot of Morning, Noon and Night and even maintained the first names of the characters in the movie!!!

OMG! How can this be? One picks someone’s novel, makes a movie out of it and keeps all the credit to him or herself. For Christ sake, the Harry Potter series were based on a novel written by J. K. Rowling and was duly acknowledged. Behaviours such as these can only be found in poverty-stricken countries like Ghana where the legitimate owners cannot sue these plagiarists.

After all, there is nothing here that will make someone come all the way from Europe, Asia and the Americas to sue them. By the way, do you know that one of the latest moves in town, ‘Blackmail’ is a copied version of a 2004 award winning India movie tiled ‘Aitraaz? It has been copied from A to Z, yet no recognition was given to the original writer. I can mention thousands of such movies whose storylines and plots have been copied by these local writers without acknowledging the original authorities. I do not want to conclude that there are no creative scriptwriters here in Ghana. I believe that these so-called movie directors and producers always want the easy way out. They do not want to invest.

A friend told me about a renowned movie director cum producer who turned him down when he presented him with a script. He did not even read the content, let alone hear the price it was going for. Rather this producer preferred to plagiarise Indian movies and repackage it into English and Twi then present them to the Ghanaian consumer. Please let us be serious in this nascent industry of ours if we really want to grow and become like Hollywood and Bollywood.

Let us be creative and write our own stories. And if we can’t, let us give credit where it is due, use good scripts, good directors, splendid cast and improvise so that we can have movies worth buying and watching. The critical eye is still watching and will ‘hammer’ where necessary.

Click for Full Image Size

Frank.R Ghollywood dir

STOP CASTING STONES
YOUR FACE | 11/8/2010 2:23:51 AM
NFC shut your big mouth up. Like nollywood doesn't steal movies and movies. This is not a ghana problem but an african problem. Africans like to plagerized without giving credit. THERE HAVE BEEN A LOT OF ARTICLES HERE THAT YOU DIDN'T WRITE, YET TAKE FULL CREDIT FOR IT, SO PLEASE DO SPARE US....Take your own advice and start using it. I am happy you cited news one on this article, because i know you didn't write it. Do that more often with all your articles.

ALSO, WHAT ABOUT ALL THE AMERICAN SONGS THAT ARE USED IN ALOT ALL NOLLYWOOD MOVIES. DO THEY GET THE RIGHT TO USE THEM IN THEIR MOVIES???? BOTH NAIJA AND GHOLLYWOOD ARE VILLIANS OF COPYING HOLLYWOOD AND BOLLYWOOD.

STOP CASTING STONES WHEN YOU LIVE IN A GLASS HOUSE
@your face
wooo | 11/8/2010 3:31:09 AM |
Gossip, are you here again? hanging around Nigerian website will not put food on your table, real men talk about ideas that will move the world forward, but smaller minds like you sit in the market place to talk about people, have you seen any Nigerian man sitting around Ghanaian website talking about every topic, like a market woman? laziness and laxity are sicknesses that you ignore, but when someone is exhibiting too much of it, he needs help.You need help, Great men of history did not achieve greatness through gossip, they contributed to the comfort we are enjoying today through serious mindedness. Not by gossip, stop too much talk, stop talking about Nigeria, you will lose your focus in life(if you have any).
@ your face
Dada | 11/21/2010 1:19:29 AM |
You hopeless b*****d!
You are truly unemployed; sleeping in NFC and on your computer 24/7, to write your illiterate ramblings about everything here!
Useless ,i***tic b*****d!
Why mention Nollywood? Did the writer mention Nollywood?
This write-up is about Ghollywood's and Ghanaian copy-cat atrocities which no Nigerian is surprised to read about because we know you people, first hand !
We know what Ghanaians can do when it comes to COPY-CAT work and so we are NOT surprised that you have also copied American best sellers'storylines.
That is apart from copying Nollywood and denying it and LYING that you TAUGHT Nollywood !
Well,we don't mind being copied.
Copying people is the best compliment to them and is an admittance of your inferiority to them ;so , always ,you MUST continue to copy Nigerians and Americans, for your survival.
I am sure Ghanaians will soon come here and LIE that THEY TAUGHT American best-selling authors how to write novels!
You had to drag in Nigeria because , as usual,
you want to HEAP your Ghanaian disgrace and s**t on Nollywood and Nigerians but you have failed , woefully , as usual.
YOU WILL CONTINUE TO FAIL AND TO SWEAT OVER NIGERIA , UNTIL YOU DROP DEAD!
You must die form envy and anger over Nigerians!
You are so obsessed with Nollywood's progress and Nigerian superiority that you are sleepless and always hitting your head against every wall!
Sorry loser , Nigeria is too much for you !
You will soon die of HYPERTENTION , stewing in your own juice.
TELL THEM!!!!!!!!!
PRETA -LIBERIA | 11/8/2010 2:35:32 AM
GHANAIAN FILMS WRITER SHOULD NOW START LOOKING AROUND THEM FOR STORIES TO MAKE FILM OUT OF AND STOP MAKING PHOTO COPIES OF INDIAN MOVIES. THERE ARE MORE STORIES IN WEST AFRICA TO WRITE ABOUT. LEARN TO BE YOURSELF.
@PRETA-LIBERIA
SIS | 11/8/2010 3:43:39 AM |
Yes Ghanaians are not creative that's why they add p**n to make up for their flaws.We prefer Nollywood movies period.
NFC Again
Lami | 11/8/2010 2:35:48 PM
Are the journalists at NFC just always looking for a way to stir up controversy b/w Nollywood and Ghollywood....What's the meaning of all these..infact this website should be closed..Movie writers get their inspiration from one place or the other..NFC is just SICK!!
ON A MORE SERIOUS NOTE
SHEKINA BABE | 11/9/2010 12:45:02 AM
AT A TIME I WAS THINKING NO ONE ELSE NOTICE THIS TREND,GHANIAN MOVIE' 4 PLAY' WAS A REPLICA OF THIS BLACK AMERICAN MOVIE 'I THINK I LOVE MY WIFE' FEATURING JANET JACKSON.LAST WEEK I WAS SO DISAPPOINTED WHEN MY FRIEND BOUGHT ONE GHANA MOVIE FEATURING MARTHA ANKOMAH,MAJID AND FRANK ARTUS,AND ONE NEW ACTRESS AND AS WE SETTLE DOWN TO WATCH I DISCOVERED DAT THEY SHAMELESSLY DUBBED EVERYTHING IN ONE AMERICAN FILM I'VE WATCH WHERE A LADY AND D HUSBAND ARE USING D LADY AS A BAIT 2 BLACKMAIL D UNLUCKY GUYS WHO CROSSES HER PATH.I ENDED UP NARRATING D MOVIE 4 MY FRIEND STEP BY STEP N IT WAS JUST FALLING INTO PLACE.I CALL DIS KIND OF THING INFERIORITY COMPLEX OF THE HIGHEST ORDER,WHY FORCING URSELF 2 BE WHAT U R NOT.IS MOVIE PRODUCTION A DO OR DIE AFFAIR?WHO IS UR COMPETITOR? U WANT 2 ACT MORE THAN NIGERIANS BY STEALING OTHER PPLE'S TALENT..U GUYS SLD RETRACE UR STEPS B4 NEMESIS WILL CATCH UP WITH U.A WORD THEY SAYS IS ENOUGH 4 D WISE
why hatred?
Asimeng-usa | 11/9/2010 3:59:38 PM
Why is it that the nigerians hate Ghanaians too mch? WHY?
good movie making
agyare kofi | 11/23/2010 7:42:12 PM
why do the so called movie makers in Ghana think they know so much and end up throwing dust into people eyes. am tell any body who read this should know that move making is by talent not of chance so i am tell them to look for the right movie writer, director and the best people to use and stop the one way movie making, I WANT YOU TO WATCH OUT FOR AFRIKE BROS IMAGE PRESENTATION and they will know what movie making is all about. if you want to know more call me on my line0542331160
Very Funny
Nollywood Forever | 11/29/2010 2:35:22 PM
It is quite ironic considering that this site does steal people's work without due credit. Absolutely hilarious.
Comment: