1. “Nigeria is a great nation and you can be proud of the progress you’ve made”
Obama acknowledges that Nigeria has made tremendous progress that we can be proud of. Listening to the APC’s message you will think that Nigeria is not Working and Obama rightly points that we have made progress under this present GEJ;s administration.
Who would want uncertain change over the chance to keep progressing?
2. “Together, you won your independence, emerged from military rule, and strengthened democratic institutions.”
Read the quote again. Obama says Military rule is a no-going back to. Do we want to go back to being bound by the shackles of dictatorship? Buhari says he is a “reformed democrat” but as we all know a Leopard doesn’t change its spot.
3. “You’ve worked hard to improve the lives of your families and to build the largest economy in Africa.”
Contrary to all the lies that APC has been trying to sell. Our economy is progressing and it did not become the largest economy in Africa by chance but by good policies of the Jonathan’s administration. Obama states the fact whilst acknowledging livelihoods improvement and thereby makes APC the liars.
4. “Violence has no place in democratic elections—and that they will not incite, support or engage in any kind of violence—before, during, or after the votes are counted”
When violence is mentioned, Nigerians cannot extricate General Buhari from his famous statement before the 2011 elections and his famous silence after his supporters went wild. The Blood of Dog and baboon statement recently made concerning the 2015 elections still echoes deeply. APC is threatening a parallel government also… Obama’s speech is a clear warning against that.
5. “Boko Haram wants to destroy Nigeria and all that you have worked to build. By casting your ballot, you can help secure your nation’s progress”
Secure your Nations progress. Don’t Change your fortunes.
Obama’s call on Nigeria to secure our progress is like a call to retain President Jonathan under whose Presidency this progress has been achieved. As it is ill advised to change a commander in chief during war, Nigerians must fight together and eliminate Boko haram with the Armed forces who are presently winning the war and sustain this momentum.
Obama also said ”in this task of advancing the security, prosperity, and human rights of all Nigerians, you will continue to have a friend and partner in the United States of America.”
Lest we forget, Nigerians are still much aware of the flagrant violation of Human Rights under General Buhari including rupture diplomatic relations with the UK and others.
What other areas of this President Obama’s speech do you think APC is uncomfortable with?