Nollywood actor, Mcdonald Oti, has explained how he escaped naked from a gang that kidnapped him about two weeks ago in Ebonyi State.Oti is also the Special Assistant to the Chairman of Ebonyi State Universal Basic Education Board, ESUBEB.
The actor was kidnapped from his home in Abakaliki, the state capital on April 22, 2017 about 8.30 pm and driven away in his Toyota Highlander SUV, to Ohatekwe forest in Ezza North Local Government Area of the state.
Accordin g to him, his abductors took everything he had on him and then stripped him naked.
While narrating his ordeal, Oti told newsmen that he was abducted by three serious looking men, who forced him into the boot of his vehicle.
He said, “They were three persons, two came down from their car while the third person who drove their own car remained inside the vehicle.
“The two men got into my vehicle. One drove my car while the other pointed a gun at my head where I was in the boot section of the SUV.
“They told me that someone sent them to kidnap me, warning that I should cooperate so that they would not kill me.
“They took everything I had with me and then asked for the PIN of my ATM card. They also asked me where I work and inquired whether the vehicle has a tracking device. They drove through Abakaliki metropolis without any policeman stopping them.
“Their own vehicle, a Toyota Sienna, was behind us.”
Oti said when they stopped near a forest, a vehement argument broke out between the kidnappers as to whether he should be shot or not. At this point, he felt an overpowering urge to run for his life.
As the argument continued between the gang, he ran into the dark forest, discountenancing any thought to slow down. As he was running in the darkness, he sustained injuries.
Fortunately for him, the kidnappers could not chase him through the forest in the dark.
According to him, “I came out from the forest completely nude and traumatized. I approached a woman for assistance but she immediately took to her heels. I met another man and he took off too.
“While I looked for safety and cover, I saw a flex banner that announced a burial that had taken place. I tore off the banner and wrapped it around my waist, to cover my nakedness.
“Then I walked across the expressway and got to the secretariat of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP. After identifying myself and explaining what happened, the people I met gave me boxer shorts to wear. I honestly don’t know the last time the boxer shorts had been worn, but I was very grateful for it. It was when I got to the police station that succour came to me. What actually helped the situation was that my wife was not also abducted with me.
“When I was taken away, she raised the alarm, and informed the police and my associates. Men of the police force sprang into action and were able to recover my SUV. And since then, they have been working hard to arrest the culprits.
“I am quite grateful to my neighbor, who is a retired naval officer. He alerted police and other security agents when he was informed about the abduction.
“The headquarters of the Ebonyi State Police Command, sent signals to all police divisions and stations as well as patrol teams and alerted them to watch out for the vehicle.”
He said on getting to the express, he reported to the police traffic post along Enugu-Abakiliki expressway and the policemen there reported to the police command headquarters about it.
According to him, he was taken to the headquarters where he met with the Commissioner of Police.
He added, “I want to commend the police for their indefatigable effort to recover my SUV and their continuing operations to track down and arrest the kidnappers. I am thankful to all the people who kept praying for my safe rescue. I owe all a huge debt of gratitude.
“I pray that the Lord God will bless every one of them. I am deeply thankful to my wife, for the right and prompt steps she took immediately after I was taken away. In fact, I can’t thank God enough for her,”