I’ll act ***e for good price----Chiwetalu Agu

Story by RITA OKOYE
Last Updated:Sunday, November 6, 2011

Chiwetalu Agu

The name Chiwetalu Agu sure rings a bell in Nigeria and beyond the borders. This is an actor, who has carved a niche for himself in the Nigerian movie industry. He stands out with his wit and humour. Indeed, one of the things that set him apart from other actors is his invention of cliques in every film he features.

In this interview, Agu told his incredible story. He talked about role he plays in movies, family and how he comes about the some of the funny things he says, among others.

You also say funny things in your movies. Why’s this?

Well, to be honest with you, I travel far to get those words. When I say far I mean, spiritually far. I’m not bragging, but if you check the recent history nobody does it, both the living and the dead. Based on my wonderful interpretation of roles and the constant use of different words in movies, I got the best actor award in 2002, and then I got another one from Christian Movies Association of Nigeria in 2009 for best actor of the year too. I do a lot to make people happy and also pass a message across.

Each time people see my new movies, they rush to watch it because of their eagerness to find out my latest discovery. They know quite well that I don’t repeat cliché; it is totally something different in all my movies. That’s why I proudly tell you that I meet with my ancestors to get all those words. What I do is unique. You can’t get it from an ordinary human being. Somethin like atamu nshi kporonku (I have eaten dried feaces) does not come just like that. It is the kind of thing you would associate with our ancient gods, but they are not living with us; so I have to visit them to get inspirations. Each new one I get, I put down in my record book. When I use any, I cancel, to avoid a repeat. That’s how I make sure each movie comes with its own unique cliché.

Are you still married?

Yes, I am happily married and I have five grown up kids. I have three boys and two girls. Amokwe town, in Udi Local Government Area of Enugu State, my town, has a common boundary with that of my colleague, Nkem Owoh.

Did you have all your kids from one woman?

Yes, of course. I am not a polygamist and I don’t pray to be one. Naturally, one woman is not easy to satisfy in all ramifications, not to mention two. Then being a wife of a movie star and seeing your husband act or pose for photographs with lots of women around him is enough reason to stir jealousy. What then would happen when you have them more than one at home? So I would advise movie actors to maintain one wife, so they would live longer.

Does your wife display any of such acts?

I am telling you what women naturally do. They all are caught in that web of jealousy. You, as a journalist, if you are interviewing me with maybe another colleague of yours and I am answering her questions, disregarding yours, you would feel jealous and would do anything to get my full attention. It might even lead to two of you fighting over me.

There’s a rumour that you have kids from different women and also womanises a lot…

Me, Chiwetalu Agu has children from different women? Ofe akwu agba uka (Banga soup has soured). Well, if you must know, I came from a very strong Christian background. My parents built in us the strong fear of God and to follow his way. So none of my family member married more than one wife.

Would you want any of your children to join the movie industry?

Of course, I am preparing them for a takeover. I have a file called Nollywood. In this files I store all my movie ideas and concepts waiting for the right time. The record I have been packaging for over two decades, they would draw inspiration from it to storm the entertainment world in the nearest future. All my kids have unique talents that they have been exploring, in a little way, but in no time they would be set to hit the big screen.

Would they wait until you fully retire before taking over?

What? Haven’t you heard that actors don’t retire? In other fields, by the time you clock 60, you are due for retirement, but it’s totally a different thing in the movie world. You continue acting till death. Even the day you are going to die, you would still use it as part of acting. Or haven’t you seen old people lying on the bed acting? So there’s no retirement for me. Even in my next world, I will come back as a professional actor because it has given me many things, fame, fortune and what have you. I would keep being an entertaining figure every day of my life. I would combine music, acting, drama etc.

You’re also a musician. You have an album in your name. Since then we haven’t heard anything again?

Well, that song wasn’t mine. I mimed it. Someone else wrote the song and needed a famous face to sing it to help boost the music. So that was how I was contacted. It was on contract, not my original song. I was never part of the writing of any of those songs; my part was to mime, get paid and that all.

What are the challenges you face in interpreting roles?

God has so blessed me that I have never found any character challenging. I interpret the roles wonderfully and make use of my lines effectively. Even the things I say, nobody writes them so the producers believe I can go the extra mile to give them the best and I do just that. That’s the same reason they always come back for me. I can boastfully say that from my last count, I have done over 376 productions, right from the time of Things Fall Apart. There’s no record that can beat that in Nollywood today. I am also grateful to God that most elderly people are using my movies to calm their blood pressure. A doctor based in Abuja once confided in me that they use my movies to cure and calm their patients’ HBP (high blood pressure). They slot in the movies and allow them laugh away their sorrows. Within a few weeks they would be back to normal, with little or no drugs.

I understand you don’t act with scripts?

Well, the scripts act as a guide, but the rest of the assignment is left for me. I try as much as I can to assist the producer and directors because their work is not easy at all. And most of them are amateurs; so I do most of my assignments well in delivering the best I can with or without their guidance.

The standard of Nigerian movies is becoming so poor that most Nigerians opt for international and Gollywood movies. What do you think is the way forward in correcting that?

Well, Ghanaians are very desperate; they can act ***e because they don’t see anything wrong in it. And with that they are really trying to push our Nigerian actress off the scene. An instance is the recent poster of a movie I saw in Asaba where the so-called very good girl, Chioma Chukwuka-Akpotha, was half-clad. To my greatest shock, she was wearing only pant and bra in the poster. Chioma really went bizarre, I must admit. I don’t know if her husband actually approved of that posture. So you see Nigerian actresses are trying to do what Ghanaians are addicted to in order to bounce back to reckoning. That notwithstanding, I give kudos to her because if one wants to remain relevant in the Nollywood, you have to stand on two feet and do whatsoever it takes to put you in place. I am also advising husbands of any actress to be very understanding and allow them spread their net wide.

So are you saying that you don’t see anything in actresses acting ***e, both married ones?

Well, I wouldn’t say I support acting ***e for n****y sake, but if the character you are meant to play has something to do with being n**ed, then go ahead and show the world how good you are in interpreting a character. For example, can one play a real market mad woman with pulling off her clothes? I have seen a mad woman who was taking bath in a gutter in an expressway. As she bent to scoop water with her hands from the gutter, she doesn’t really care if her a**s was facing the north or south. And when she was washing her b****ts with same dirty water, she didn’t care if the b***ts were standing er**t or surrendered in defeat. She was just doing her thing. So if you have to do all that in the course of acting it’s fine; so long as they pay you handsomely.

Would you act ***e?

Yeah, why not, as long as the pay is right. I would give in whatever it takes to interpret the role. Yes, tongues would wag but before a week or two everybody would have forgotten what happened and your money would be smiling in your account. That means that our profession is paying fine. If I act ***e today, I have a very understanding family, kindred, community and friends; they all know what it takes to be a versatile actor. I was conferred a Chief by my Igwe; so I am now addressed as Chief Chiwetalu Agu, the Oke mmiri na ezoluoha of Amokwe town, based on my numerous achievements.

CENSORED WORD????
MARIONA
11/7/2011 12:56:23 AM
NFC what is that word that you censored, I can´t seem to get it! And for you Chiwetalu Agu alias Mr.Grammar, where have you been ?
I am ANGRY!!!
Lalaland
11/7/2011 2:12:20 AM
This man needs an award! Not those ediots genefhuckingve and co!
y
adaure
11/7/2011 2:53:28 AM
y wount u guys write somthing we can read u want to censor everything how do i know what that is ewu nfc
lala aproku
tina for real
11/7/2011 3:24:39 AM
lala I miss you yesterday, all the comment were boreing without you.
tina
Lalaland
11/7/2011 6:14:13 AM
Me sef miss nfc and my forumites yesterday. My sister catch me dey write for nfc, reported me to my mama who then banned me from using pc. So I dey sneak in and out using it ! I had to go internet cafe go go find pc use for a while.
Lalaland nfc celebrity
Omo Oba
11/10/2011 2:03:43 PM
Lala no comment for one day you dey tell am say you miss am. If he comments, na curse you dey rain on him. Which one you na dey. Make you na grant lala freedom of speech like others now. Na him right as a bonafide Nigerian. Lala na your back I dey o.
Na wa 4 u
Jane
9/2/2012 10:12:04 AM
Lala is it compulsory. That u must make a comment
lalaland
love
11/7/2011 6:30:25 AM
u ve just spoken like a human being
love
Lalaland
11/8/2011 1:40:01 AM
You dey definitely CRAZE!!!
great actor bt
edu brazil
11/7/2011 7:01:42 AM
U ar a great actor no doubt,bt i dnt beliv dat old man lyk u wil want 2 go nude jus bcos of de pay. wot do u teach ur kids nd those watchin u 2 cure their hypaten tion
Edu Brazil
D
11/7/2011 10:48:31 AM
I think that is just his way of not-judging other actors that go nude for the "right price". (Even though he just judged Chioma in the same interview for going "half-clad", which I dont believe BTW).
The Chinweta we know will not likely appear nude in a movie. I guess thats just a way of saying there can never be a price good enough for him to go nude.
mi feel good
gidigdam
11/7/2011 12:59:12 AM
me feel ire watching you brother man.u gwan thing nice an steady,mi love u to da bone.big up.
Gidigdam
chiyoma
11/7/2011 2:38:56 AM
you to don dey follow Mystic dey c***y,why are you writing with Jamaican Rasttaferian abey waka far,we are proudly Nigerians.ok
I luv ur parables cari goøo
Love
11/3/2013 8:55:37 PM
Cupeh
agu
tina for real
11/7/2011 3:21:30 AM
this man interveiw is very funny, I enjoyed reading it.
I don laff tired ooooooo
Angel Tessy
11/7/2011 4:33:19 AM
Original man of nollywood,where 've u been?i really missed u ooo,i enjoyed every bit of ur interveiw oooo,u made my day,they shld have named u after nollywood cos pple like u, made millions of pple to be lovers of home video today,i hail oooo,cos God Almighty really featured u in nollywood,to make it what is it today,u put more than skill,when acting,that showed u know what u came to do in d industry,God blessed u,Chief Chiwetatu Agu.
Chiwetalu
Loraine
11/7/2011 4:17:57 AM
U are a legend baba kp it up,u make us laugh a lot when ever w c yr name apearng on screen w real pay attention,bt w wl also mss yr collegue Sam Loco Efe,u alwayz made a gud match!SouthAfrica.
truly speaking
osiki
11/7/2011 5:22:31 AM
indeed, he is one of the finest actor i have ever come across..his display of realism and cliche..oh i love to watch his movies..keep it up.
i don laugh tire
harrison
11/7/2011 5:42:39 AM
Agu go on nothing do u i suport ur ambition,i have one 4u like ETITUO ETO UKOCHUKWU.
pls
Edu brazil
11/7/2011 12:35:38 PM
abeg etito wil nt to ukochukwu,rada'ukochukwu eto o ebube'
Lalaland
nkem for life
11/7/2011 12:42:53 PM
lalaland u re very s****d and useless boy mind ur biz aproko amebo olofofo radio without wire wetin jenny do.poverty na go kill u and ur generation
lala
wahala
11/7/2011 12:46:49 PM
ur level too small 4 jenny,i think jenny fall ur hands down,that is why ur always calling her,ur level too small 4 her b***h.looooo
CHIWETALU AGU IS SENSELESS.
PURPLE FROM GHANA.
11/7/2011 3:23:25 PM
I BELIEVE CHIWETALU AGU IS INSANE.THIS INTERVIEW WAS FULL OF DIRTY ANSWERS.NU-DITY IS BAD.HE CLAIMS GHANAIANS ARE DESPERATE AND THEN HE GOES ON TO SAY HE SUPPORTS NU-DITY AND WOULD ACT NU-DE, IF HE IS WELL PAID THIS MEANS THAT HE IS MORE DESPERATE AND HIS INTERGRITY CAN BE BOUGHT.CHIWETALU DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE A CHIEF.HE IS A TOTAL DISGRACE.
purple from ghana s****d
milo
11/8/2011 8:48:41 AM
Chief Chietalu Agu is an age man that control his family,he has nothing to lost,but ur ghana women singles and married exposed their f*****g body to d world,is u that's SENSELESS OK.
ANIMAL MILO
PURPLE FROM GHANA
11/10/2011 5:55:48 AM
ANY SENSIBLE AND TRUTHFUL PERSON AS I AM WOULD SAY THAT WHAT CHIWETALU SAID WAS TOO BAD TO COME FROM A GROWN UP AS HIM.HOW CAN HE CONDEMN NUDITY AND SAY HE WOULD GO NUDE WHEN HE IS WELL PAID FOR THAT.MILO YOU ARE A f**l.GO AND PUT YOUR MOUTH IN THE GUTTERS.MILO DOG.
true talk
bazil
11/8/2011 12:40:07 AM
you are right! he does not deserve to be a red cap cheap thief(Chief)
Contradiction
KB
11/8/2011 8:35:52 AM
This f**l's contradicting himself. How you gonna talk about spiritually visiting your ancestors and "our" ancient gods?
Then go back to say you were brought up from a strong Christian home.
It don't make no sense.
KB is u contradiction ok
masha
11/8/2011 8:55:43 AM
Did u watch christain films,like blood on d altar,is making believed doesnt mean that all d born again are practising,but they go for their searh,for him to go search and bring on acting doesnt mean is contradiction ok.
Speak English
KB
11/8/2011 11:48:50 AM
He didn't say he did it in movies, therefore he wasn't acting. He said he did it in real life, then he would write it down in his journal to be used in movies. Though what he is saying is ludicrous. OK?
Lalaland nfc celebrity
Omo Oba
11/10/2011 2:01:31 PM
no attraction
akuso
11/9/2011 11:27:03 AM
I WONDER HOW HE WOULD LOOK LIKE IN NUDITY, I BET HE WILL DISOWN HER DAUGHTER IF SHE ACT NUDE.
what are we acting
okoli
11/10/2011 1:27:08 PM
days are gone when the movies acted and songs sang portrial the solution to the icreadible acts that has become the life style of our country. the songs is an evenue to preat the gospel and pass information. but we have tun it into only money making avenue. and that is why our so called leaders will still all the country money and somebody will be their singing his praise all in the form to partake in the spending the stolen money. our actors ur more like a preacher so take up ur palat and work
hmmm
nina
11/11/2011 8:21:36 AM
had so much respect for mr Agu till i read this article........is it just me or the man is an irritating brag??
U people re talking any how
Oby de girl
11/12/2011 3:21:02 AM
Nwunnem i luv u dnt mind dem.
tell dat to d birds
chichi
11/28/2011 10:41:52 PM
Chief Chinwetalu Agu, congratulations for your new title, I don't believe all dat is being said, d Chioma dat I know will never act nude,shes too big for dat,she's not desperate either,as for you my comedian,u too will never act nude for real.I see ur statements as just to make us laugh and laughing indeed.they can't pay u for nudity.I understand d logic.
ewidNWqWnyghuy
Ronalee
12/7/2011 6:13:19 PM
Yup, that sohlud defo do the trick!
Oria
Darlington iyere
2/4/2012 4:46:32 AM
I love to be an actor
08071170579
Darlingemo@ymail.com
mKtnygKMtXISeo
Microsoft OEM Software
3/8/2012 10:44:32 AM
OzFcVk Really enjoyed this blog article.Much thanks again. Want more.
Appreciation
Nsom
3/20/2012 5:36:53 AM
Mr Chiwetalu, go ahead, your movies have a lot of morality. Even the dumb can learn what it means to be bad, and its consequences. People change when they discover that itn't good to be wicked. Reality is what we want in movies

NWR, Cameroon
L0l
Jesus y0ungest br0ther
3/20/2012 7:15:04 AM
L0l l0ler l0lest! Ayam laughing pr0fusely o! Funny pe0ple... Well,m new here... Chinwetere agw0.... (g0d,br0ught snake) is a g00d,smart enugurian! He's paving his way sha! I funny sha... L0l
RpGnubMmgyNvrzRNy
wholesale men clothing
3/20/2012 2:33:42 PM
I appreciate you sharing this post.Really thank you! Want more.
To everybody
Thaddy
4/25/2012 3:05:40 PM
Its only those who dose not take their time to think and make sense out of what sombody says will ignorantly go ahead and talk robish. Simply, Chiwetalu agu is a full time funny fellow, so if you dont take your time to attribute and examine him proper before your action, you may end up going astray believe me. Lets not bring about grievance or tribalism into these oh..........
agu
eze
6/3/2012 3:44:38 AM
am inluv with ur way of acting......wat of dis funny sayin''otula akonsi m''.../
hCMvNNUPPYiLpzaFah
Contextual Backlinks
7/9/2012 10:24:09 AM
Yo5sgI Very neat blog.Much thanks again.
Liv him alone
Thomodor4christ
7/24/2012 3:13:55 AM
like it or not, chief Agu is a man of everybody, even u ghana!
TBElqISGPjayobfY
bookmarking service
9/20/2012 10:11:45 AM
kc6NXx Thanks for the article post.Really looking forward to read more. Awesome.
yUaAjXYDJBxkfTIe
crork
11/4/2012 10:48:49 PM
vDdxZR Really enjoyed this blog article. Great.
aplplause
lawrence matafi
11/5/2012 12:54:14 AM
this man is great
aplplause
lawrence matafi
11/5/2012 12:54:17 AM
this man is great
mvxbNMzgjWxVAmNLdey
pills for lose weight
2/1/2013 2:55:07 AM
4yg9t6 Thank you for your blog.Really looking forward to read more. Want more.
Agu
Johnson
3/5/2013 4:34:32 AM
Chiwetala agu like actin 5n nt at all tins
agu
mbewe malawi
3/8/2013 3:16:34 AM
ure agreat actor
mr. agu
gracia from surinam
4/12/2013 10:01:58 AM
hi mr. agu i like u very much you make good films the way you act in almost al of your movies you use some special words you are a good actor may you live long and God bless.
chief agu
nelson mandela 4rm aba
5/18/2013 3:32:12 AM
i love dat man chinwetalu agu curse he is gr8 comedian,one of my role model.
Advice
Charles constant
6/12/2013 2:56:06 PM
Y r u guys taking parasitamol over sm1's headache,abt him bad word against chioma akpota n also he will go nude if his ask 2do it.dey knw demselves ok guy?,hv any1 of u read smtn in chioma akpota's blog b4?,mayb u guys suld go read it n knw how many peaple she has criticised on
Wealthy rich lady
Mr osagie
12/18/2013 12:09:50 PM
Wealthy rich influential ladies are looking for you!
07054568330

Are You A Young Guy Looking For The Company Of lady For Fun And Financial Assistance? Sugar mummy that can pay you up to 300,000) to 400,000 for a start 07054568330
Are You A Matured Rich But Lonely Woman That Need A Younger Guy For Revitalization?
Or A Rich Mature Man That Need Pretty And Sexy Girl To Have A Relaxation With?
Sugar World Connect Have Gone Extra Miles In Satisfying Our Customers, We Have Received Much More Contacts From Dignify People In The Society. And We Are Waiting To Get You Connected To One Of Them, Irrespective Of Your Location, We Have Covered The 36 States Of The Federation Just To Make Sure That We Bring A Maximum Satisfaction To You All.
Call Our Hot Line Today, We Are Sure You Will Call Back To Say Thank You. We Don't Delay, We Don't Disappoint, We Make It Happen Within 4Hrs.
Call +2347054568330